Face Mask Acne
Treatments for "Maskne" at Sparx Winchester Beauty Salon
It's fair to say that 2020 has thrown up plenty of challenges, and now it seems there's yet another one to deal with. Face Mask Acne or "Maskne" is a growing problem we're seeing at our Winchester beauty salon. With the wearing of face coverings now mandatory in public places, we're having to get used to wearing masks, often for long periods of time. The result for many of us has been redness and breakouts of spots and pimples.
In the fight against Covid-19 it's important that we all continue to wear our mask, so what can we do to resolve this frustrating problem? The skin care experts at Sparx share their advice.
Treatments for Face Mask Acne Near Me
What Causes Maskne?
Maskne is caused by the constant rubbing of your mask on your skin which can result in micro-tears on the skin's surface . This is turn allows bacteria and dirt to get into the the skin, clogging up the pores and causing breakouts.
The situation is made worse by the hot and moist environment inside your mask as you breathe into it. This results in a build up of sweat, oil and bacteria as well as dead skin cells which cannot be shed because the mask is designed to limit air flow. Altogether, it's easy to see why masks can be a skin care disaster!
One point to note is that Maskne is different from regular acne, which can often be caused by hormonal fluctuations. Find out more about our acne treatments here.
How Can I Stop My Mask Causing Spots?
There are some simple preventative steps you can take to minimise the risk of Maskne developing.
- Keep your mask clean - this is a really important hygiene rule we should all be following anyway. Wash your mask after every use, either in a washing machine or hand washing.
- Wash your face - gently cleanse your face morning and evening, paying special attention to the areas covered by the mask. Speak to you Sparx beautician about the best products to use for this. If you are suffering from breakouts caused by your mask, be careful not to risk damaging the skin's surface further with harsh products.
- Avoid masks made of synthetic materials - synthetic materials are harsher on the skin than softer cottons.
- Make sure your face mask fits properly - your mask needs to fit over your nose and mouth comfortably without being too big or too small. Wrongly sized masks can rub the skin.
- Keep your skin hydrated - it's important to keep your skin in the best possible condition to help improve its barrier function. Avoid heavy, pore clogging moisturisers thought as this can make the situation worse.
- Use minimal makeup - adding foundation to your skin when it's already struggling inside your mask isn't a good idea! Focus instead on adding some beautiful eye make up to make them really stand out.
How can I treat Face Mask Acne?
So you've followed all the steps above and you're still being troubled by annoying spots and pimples - what can you do? We'd recommend you book an appointment to see your Sparx beautician by calling us on 01962 878979 and we can assess your skin and recommend the best course of treatments from the range we offer out our Winchester Salon. Our top advice includes:
- Treat your skin from within with Skinade - Skinade is an innovative skin- care drink designed to boost the body’s natural production of collagen and hyaluronic acid. It contains essential micronutrients which work to nourish your skin including marine collagen, B vitamins and other anti-oxidents. A favourite with celebrities, it's available at our Winchester salon.
- Care for your skin with AlumierMD Acne Balancing Serum - This highly effective lightweight serum penetrates pores to reduce acne, allowing the skin to heal and preventing new pimples from forming. Alumier MD products are sold exclusively through skin care professionals who are fully trained to guide you on the most suitable products for you.
- Try a microdermabrasion treatment - Microdermabrasion is a superb skin resurfacing treatment that will leave your skin looking brighter and less blemished. It's a pain-free non-surgical procedure which gently removes dead skin cells on the outer surface of the skin.
Take a look at the amazing results achieved with these treatments for our client who visited our Winchester salon recently. Over the course of a month her breakouts were cleared through a combination of Skinade, AlumierMD Acne Balancing Serum and a microdermabrasion treatment.
Facial Treatments to Improve the Appearance of Face Mask Acne at Sparx Beauty Salon in Winchester
At Sparx we offer a wide range of facial treatments which can be used to tackle your mask related breakouts. Book a free consultation with one of our specialists and we'll assess your skin and recommend the best course of treatments for you. Call us now on 01962 878979, or book online.